Shop with Amazon Smile & support KBRW!
- UIC sues Utqiagvik over name changeIt's been linguistically rough going for the North Slope's hub community since its name change officially went into place Dec. 1, shifting away from "Barrow," with its colonial roots, to "Utqiaġvik," meaning "the place to dig wild roots."
- Solomon receives jail time for $100K NSB theftThe woman who pleaded guilty to stealing more than $100,000 from the North Slope Borough Police Department evidence room has been sentenced to eight months in prison.
- Kotzebue discusses coastal resiliencyClimate change and its effects on the coastline are easy to see in the Northwest Arctic. From erosion to changing migration times and routes for animals to shifting weather patterns, changes are all around.
- America's northernmost city to get its first Subway restaurantUtqiaġvik will get the world's northernmost Subway sandwich shop early next year.
- Exploring cultural resilience on top of the worldThe sun rises and goes down in our small town of Oberlin, 20 miles west of Cleveland, Ohio. This is a heartfelt thank-you note from the Oberlin College crew to everyone who so generously shared their time and wisdom with us in Barrow (Utqiaġvik), the beautiful northernmost land where the sun doesn't rise for the […]