For weeks the Legislature has been at a stalemate over its budget deficit. The Republican majority has been trying to secure a three-quarter vote to tap the state's rainy day account, but they need Democratic support to do that, which means increasing education funding and expanding Medicaid. Download Audio:
The Missile Defense Agency today confirmed Clear Air Station as its preferred location for a new type of radar system, called Long Range Discrimination Radar. The selection of Clear helps solidify Alaska’s role as host to the ground-based mid-course missile defense system, designed primarily to shoot down warheads from North Korea. Download Audio:
It's been a week since the State of Alaska took the rare step of assuming control of Prestige Nursing home in Anchorage. State inspectors found dozens of violations during a visit to the facility. And the state says the nursing home had plenty of prior warning that it needed to improve. Download Audio:
Scenes from Kivgiq 2015
- Alaska ranked third in U.S. for illicit drug useSurprisingly, tobacco and drug use don't appear to go hand in hand, substance abuse study finds
- Kotzebue Grille finds home at FECCity moves location back to old bowling alley after plans with local restaurant fall through
- Technical school grads find world of possibilities81 graduate from Alaska Technical Center in Kotzebue
- Students create ice rink in Anaktuvuk PassEvery Thursday, fire chief Gordon sprays the area with water to keep rink ice thick
- Paannaq Program recognizedCommunitas Award given for community service and corporate social responsibility
- Alaska Technical Center offers thanks for supportI would like to thank our communities for your support of the Alaska Technical Center's students throughout the years.
- End of school year doesn't slow Shungnak's 'It's a We' campaignShungnak's zest for community togetherness hasn't lost steam, even though students will soon be off for the summer.
- Noorvik man faces 5 felony charges after April attackA Noorvik man made his first court appearances this week on five felony charges stemming from an alleged attack in April in the small community.
- In BriefTruGame camp set for June 15-21 at UAA
- 15 Years Ago in the Arctic SounderDistrict gets new superintendent