The Alaska Senate has delayed a vote on its signature marijuana bill after saying they need more time to consider an amendment that would largely ban concentrates. Download Audio
Lawmakers took public testimony for the first time Thursday on Governor Bill Walker's bill to expand Medicaid. The public spoke during the last 30 minutes of the House Health and Social Services committee's hearing on HB 148. Download Audio
Environmentalists are saying a budget amendment authored by Sen. Lisa Murkowski could lead to a plundering of treasured federal landscapes. Murkowski’s amendment on federal land disposals was part of a national budget resolution the Senate passed early this morning. Senators offered hundreds of amendments that don’t have the force of law but often serve symbolic or political purposes. Download Audio
The Alaska Court of Appeals has affirmed a lower court’s decision that Yup’ik Fishermen who fished during a state closure should be charged. The decision was issued today. Download Audio
Scenes from Kivgiq 2015
- Barge drifting in Russian watersOceanographers using rogue vessel, which has drifted 1,300 miles, to study Arctic ice patterns
- Adoption case draws concernNative groups ask for state reversal to avoid unnecessary red tape for potential adoptees
- Short, chubby, neurotic a good combination in coldSize and shape of body makes a difference in cold tolerance among individuals
- State tournament a family affair for MorrysAndrea and Michael Morry had plenty to do last week at the Class 1A sate basketball tournament in Anchorage, including driving between Sullivan Arena, the Wells Fargo Center and the Alaska Airlines Center to watch their son and daughter represent two different teams - Anaktuvuk Pass and Nenana - in the boys' and girls' divisions.
- Harpoonerettes claim 4th with win over NenanaThe Point Hope Harpoonerettes turned in a solid effort at the Class 2A state basketball tournament this past weekend by taking fourth in the final team standings.
- Barrow cheerleaders capture state crownThe Barrow High School boys' basketball team wasn't the first Whaler team to wrap up a state title at the Class 3A state basketball tournament over the weekend. That honor belongs to the Barrow High School cheerleaders.
- Anaktuvuk Pass 'thrilled' with 3rd-place finishThe Anaktuvuk Pass High School Amaguqs entered the ASAA/First National Bank Alaska Basketball State Championships as posterchild for the Cinderella team.
- Lady Whalers rally back from loss to finish 3rdDespite the loss to Valdez in semifinals, team appreciative of strong third-place finish
- Huskiettes claim 2nd title with win over BucklandKai Nashookpuk, Jay-Jay Aguvluk and Molly Nayakik helped the Alak Huskiettes back on top of the Class A basketball world on Wednesday night in front of a large crowd in the Alaska Airlines Center.
- Deering post office set to reopen this week after auditResidents say there have been reports of missing mail, including money orders